By: Samar Shiraz
Szechwan cuisine or Szechuan cuisine is a style of Chinese cuisine originating from Sichuan Province. It has bold spicy flavours, created by using garlic and chili peppers. This recipe adds a delicious twist by adding meat balls to Szechwan sauce.
- Red long dried long chilies soaked in 1/4 cup boiling water
- Crushed garlic and ginger 1-1 tbsp.
- Soya sauce 1 tbsp.
- Vinegar 1 tbsp.
- Tomato paste 1 tbsp.
- Salt pepper to taste
- Sugar 1 tsp
- Oil 2 tbsp.
- Soak chillies in boiling water for about 20 minutes.
- Blend them with all the water until very smooth.
- Take a wok, add oil and saute chopped ginger garlic.
- Add chilli paste to the wok, stir for few minutes then add tomato paste
- Mix everything in and add soya sauce, vinegar, salt pepper and sugar,
- Cook the sauce until it gets nice and thick and oil separates.
- Remove from heat and take out in a bowl.
Szechwan Meat Balls
- Chicken mince 500 gms
- Spring onion 1/4 cup
- Bell peppers 2 cube cut
- Red onion 1 small, cube cut
- Ginger garlic chopped 1-1 tbsp.
- Soya sauce 1tbsp for gravy, 1 tbsp. for meat balls mix
- Vinegar 1 tbsp. for gravy, 1 tbsp. for meat balls mix
- Chili garlic sauce 1 tbsp.
- Ketchup 1 tbsp.
- Szechwan sauce 2 tbsp. for gravy, 1 tbsp. for meat balls mix
- bread crumbs 1/4 cup soaked in 2 tbsp. milk
- Red chili flakes 1/2 tsp (optional)
- Oil as needed
- Water as needed
- Take chicken mince add Szechwan sauce, salt pepper chili flakes, soya sauce, vinegar, spring onions, bread crumbs soaked in milk,
- Mix everything very well or use a food processor,
- Make small meat balls out of the mix and stir fry them on high heat until meat gets golden color,
- Add vegetables to the wok and toss for a minute then remove from pan.
- In same wok take 2 tbsp. oil and sauté chopped ginger garlic then add tomato paste, Szechwan sauce, soya sauce, vinegar salt n pepper.
- Cook it well and add some water to avoid burning, then add chili garlic sauce and ketchup, sauce should look glossy and shiny,
- Add 1/4 cup water to have some gravy,
- Finally mix in all the fried meat and vegetables, simmer for few minutes, garnish with chopped spring onions and serve hot.
About the Author:
Samar Shiraz loves to cook and share her recipes. She has a cooking blog at http://samarcooks.com and a YouTube channel at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbMZE4_UvQsDfHBo1QghRLA/