By Rahila Ovais
Try this wonderful and easy butternut squash recipe!
1 medium sized butternut squash, cubed
Few sprigs of rosemary
1 small onion
1 medium carrot
3-4 celery stalks
One inch piece of ginger
Salt and pepper to taste
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1. Toss the butternut squash cubes and rosemary sprigs with olive oil, some salt and pepper and roast in the oven at 350 degrees
2. Meanwhile heat a tablespoon of olive oil in a large pot and sauté the sliced onions, carrots and celery until tender, then add the grated ginger
3. Add a liter of water and let simmer
4. Once the squash is roasted, remove from oven and add to the pot, let cook for another 20-30 minutes
5. Add the freshly ground nutmeg, taste and adjust seasoning if desired
6. Puree the soup in a blender in batches until smooth and return to pot to simmer
7. Serve garnished with some roasted pumpkin seeds and fresh rosemary leaves with garlic toast or croutons.
About the Author:
Rahila Ovais is a mother to four ranging from 20 to 5 years old. She’s called Jeddah, KSA, where she was born and Karachi, Pakistan, where she was brought up, her homes before moving to Toronto twenty years ago. She is also a very opinionated person who has a hard time keeping her thoughts to herself. You can follow her on Facebook: HijabiMommy.