By Aaisha Zafar Islam
We have a family friend who is an avid baker and she is always generous in sharing her recipes and its source. Another thing, her cakes are different from the usual chocolate-y, spongy variety; she will bake and share cakes that have added nutrition and fiber in them.
When she brought around this cake, I hounded her to contribute here on MuslimMoms.ca, and of course I photographed her cake to go with the recipe!
Since it has oats, this cake can double-duty as a quick grab-n-go breakfast. It is also the perfect companion to a cup of tea or coffee or as a snack on its own. Cinnamon and nutmeg lend it a spicy aroma and the crumbly topping with nuts enlivens things up!
Ingredients for Cake
- 1 cup oats
- 1 ¼ cup boiling water
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 1/ 1/s tsp soda
- ¾ tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp nutmeg
Ingredients for Topping
- 2 tbsp melted butter
- ¼ cup shredded coconut
- ½ cup oats
- ¼ cup packed brown sugar
- 3 tbsp milk
- 1/3 cup chopped almonds
- Preheat oven to 350. Butter and prepare a 9 inch cake pan.
- Mix in oats and boiling water, let stand for 20 minutes.
- Sift dry ingredients together in a bowl.
- In another bowl, cream butter, add in the sugars and beat till fluffy.
- Blend in eggs and vanilla.
- Stir in oats mixture into the ‘wet’ ingredients.
- Fold in the dry ingredients and mix well.
- Pour batter into the prepared pan and bake till a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean. This takes around 40-50 minutes.
- Mix up the topping ingredients in this time.
- Remove cake from the oven and while it is still hot, top with the topping mix.
- Put it back in the oven, on broiler setting for a couple of minutes till the top is slightly browned.
- Take out and cool on a wire rack.
- Cut into pieces, enjoy!
- You can use a cup of all-purpose flour and ½ a cup of whole wheat flour for added whole grains goodness.
- If you use sweetened coconut, reduce the amount of brown sugar in topping.
- Experiment with nuts, this recipe used almonds, you can try pecans, cashews, peanuts, walnuts or filberts/hazelnuts.