By Marzia Shamsi
If you’re a massive Nutella fan you’re going to love this recipe. A rich chocolate sponge cake made with Nutella and topped with, you guessed it, more Nutella! This delicious, gooey chocolate cake is perfect served alongside vanilla ice cream or a dollop of fresh cream – serve for dessert or as an afternoon treat with a cuppa. My eight year old is just perfect at making this one. It’s a fun recipe that you can do with your own or with the kids as this is an exciting way to get them them busy when cooped in indoors. The trick to get an even suface on the cake with the icing is to make sure the cake is not completely cooled when spreading Nutella on top – the slight warmth of the cake will make it much easier to spread Nutella evenly. Store this cake in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
For the cake
- 100g butter
- 100g Nutella
- 4 medium eggs
- 200g caster sugar
- 200g self-raising flour
- ½tsp baking powder
To decorate and fill
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas Mark 4 and line two 21cm/9inch cake tins with greaseproof paper.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk all the ingredients together using an electric mixer. Once combined, pour into the cake tins making sure you’ve got an even amount in each.
- Bake in the oven for 20-25 mins until springy to touch.
- Take out of the oven and leave to cool on a wire rack but don’t let them cool completely. When the two cakes are warm, decide which is going to be your base and spread with a thick layer of Nutella.
- Pop the top cake onto the base and press down firmly sandwiching them together. Cover the top of the cake with more Nutella and spread with a spatula or the back of a spoon.
About the Author:
Marzia Shamsi is a single mother to two lovely kids. Brought up in the UAE, a Canadian resident originally from India. A professional chef out of house while at home her first and last name is Mom. An amateur blogger who’s just started out, Marzia loves to share her thoughts and knowledge and dreams of owning her own restaurant some day.