By Rahila Ovais
As the end of the school years is fast approaching us, I bet most moms are fretting already about how to keep their kids busy during summer vacations; especially if you don’t have any plans to go out of town during this time. Since this years summer vacation will start in the midst of Ramadan, it presents us with an excellent opportunity to get the kids to brush up on their Islamic studies. Besides reciting Quran everyday as part of their Ramadan activities they can also
- Memorize a new surah a week
- Learn a new duaa a week
- Learn the 99 names of Allah
- Read a new story of a Prophet a day
- Read a chapter a day of Prophet Muhammad’s life story
- Check out Sukainaz CraZy Creations for some fun Islamic arts and crafts
At the end of Ramadan there will of course be Eid parties and get-togethers with family and friends, leaving us with lots of time to enjoy the rest of the summer;
- Visit a local farm for berry picking and other adventures like corn maze, farmer’s market etc.
- When the heat is on, there is nothing better than to visit a water park/splash pad or hit the beach or go swimming at your local pool.
- Have a picnic or two; you don’t even have to go too far. Little kids would be happy to have a small picnic in their own backyard.
- Take the kids to a zoo.
- Be a tourist in your own town and visit a historical site or visit a public garden or take advantage of museum discounts.
- There is lots happening in the city during summer; attend a free event or go to the most popular summer festivals or check out a neighborhood festival.
- Watch a movie under the stars
Check out more summer activities ideas here: http://localhost/muslimmoms/10-fun-and-frugal-summer-activities-for-kids/
About the Author
Rahila Ovais is a mother to four ranging from 20 to 5 years old. She’s called Jeddah, KSA, where she was born and Karachi, Pakistan, where she was brought up, her homes before moving to Toronto twenty years ago. She is also a very opinionated person who has a hard time keeping her thoughts to herself. You can follow her on Facebook: HijabiMommy.