By Chef Marzia Shamsi
Did you know that Protein is the building block for brain cells, muscle, skin, hair and nails, and is found in meat and plant-based foods like legumes, seeds and grains while Carbohydrates provide fuel for the brain, central nervous system and kidneys, and are found in grain foods such as bread, rice, quinoa, pasta, crackers and barley.This recipe is a perfect balance of the micro nutrients required in a human body.
Here is my perfect recipe of Chicken Parmigiana with homemade marinara sauce & hand rolled pasta that is going to enhance your taste buds & take you to this enchanting culinary journey through the beautiful culinary heritage of Italy.
Marinara Sauce Recipe
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1/2 lbs Roma Tomatoes
- A bunch of Fresh Basil
- 2 Cloves of Garlic
- 1 Onion
- 1 tbsp Italian seasoning
- 1 tbsp chilli Flakes (optional)
- Salt to taste
- Heat olive oil in a pan over medium heat.
- Cook and stir onion in hot oil until softened, about 5 minutes;
- Add tomatoes, garlic, chopped onions and basil leaves fry mixture until tomatoes are softened.
- Add 1 tbsp of Italian seasoning, 1tbsp of paprika flakes(optional) & salt to taste.
- Now add the mixture a blender run it until a sauce like consistency
- Transfer back to the pan simmer for 15 minutes set aside to cool.Tip- Store in a mason jar this sauce can be frozen & stocked up to a year!
Hand Rolled Pasta Recipe
- 3 large eggs, beaten to blend
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- Mix eggs, flour, and salt in the bowl of a stand mixer with your hands until a shaggy dough forms.
- Knead with dough hook until dough is smooth and elastic, about 10 minutes.
- Cover dough with plastic wrap and let rest at least 30 minutes.
- Cut and roll as desired use a pasta machine if available or create your own shapes. As we have used our pasta machine to make ours.
- Boil water with salt & olive oil to prepare your pasta cook until Al dente strain & keep aside.
Chicken Parmigiana Recipe
- Chicken parmigiana
- 4 chicken Breasts
- 1 tblsp white pepper
- 2 to 3 tblsp dark soy sauce
- 1/2 tbsp Salt
- 2cups flour salt & pepper to mix
- 2cups panko or Bread Crumbs
- 2 tbsp of Parmesan to mix
- 6 eggs beaten
- Butterfly the chicken breast then make a slit from the center in to two equal halves.
- Add white pepper,Soy sauce & salt to taste for an hour.
- Place flour on a shallow dish or plate. Season with salt and pepper. Add parmesan in the panko. Place the beaten egg in another dish.
- Dredge the chicken in flour and shake off the excess. Coat in egg then thoroughly coat in breadcrumbs. Shake off the excess & keep aside.
- Heat oil in a pan over medium-high heat. Fry chicken cutlet until golden brown on both sides (about 3 minutes).
- Ladle some tomato sauce on the bottom of a baking dish. Place chicken on top and ladle some sauce on top of it and layer grated mozzarella on top.
- Set the oven on broil place the chicken until the cheese is fully melted.
Place your homemade fettuccine in the center followed by the chicken finish with a generous sprinkle of parmesan cheese & voila!
Watch the recipe on video here:
About the Author:
Marzia Shamsi is a single mother to two lovely kids. Brought up in the UAE, now a Canadian, she is originally from India. She is a professional chef with a vast Canadian hospitality experience & a food enthusiast who loves to pen down & share her knowledge on food. Working hard & learning through her experiences she dreams of having her own concept restaurant some day.